Our regular readers (hello and thank you) will probably have read Dom’s article about the Lindt event he went to. It turned out to be part of the official UK Launch of this new bar from their ‘Excellence’ range, which has been flavoured with wasabi. If you don’t know what wasabi is yet, it’s a Japanese horseradish which is normally served with sushi and is quite capable of blowing your head off.
Looking back through our archives, it’s almost a year to the day since my review of Elisabeth’s wasabi truffle was posted, and that was my second taste. Since then quite a few wasabi/chocolate combinations have come our way, so it really isn’t too much of a surprise to discover that Lindt have launched their own version.
One thing that has often been said about Lindt is that you do get what’s written on the package. Their bars may not be high-end, artisan made, or exclusive but they are a cut above your average high street/supermarket fodder and we feel that they do offer the slightly more adventurous consumer an opportunity to dip a toe into slightly more upmarket (and occasionally more unusual) chocolate.
That said, I don’t think any of us here would agree that 47% cacao content is ‘dark’ chocolate, but that’s the percentage that Lindt’s dark bars have. As is often the case, a good deal of the other 53% of this bar is sugar – almost half in fact – and this is readily apparent when you waft a piece of the bar under your nose. It’s a familiar smell to me – light cacao notes and a lot of sweetness.
When you pop a piece of the bar into your mouth the wasabi is apparent from the off. The chocolate begins to melt and that slightly earthy, mustardy flavour creeps in to mingle with the dark cacao notes. I found that the sweetness of this bar tended to detract from the wasabi somewhat – it never really gets to shine, and perhaps some of this has to do with the fact that wasabi ‘flavouring’ was used.
My previous wasabi/chocolate experiences were somewhat spicier (and darker) than this bar, and much more to my own personal preferences (i.e. much more cacao, much less sugar and real wasabi) but saying that, I appreciate that Lindt’s bars are not aimed at the connoisseur. These are the bars that the UK supermarket’s top end ‘Best of’ and ‘Finest’ ranges seek to emulate (and occasionally surpass in terms of content) and as such I can see this being something regular Lindt lovers would have a go at – probably for the novelty value at first, but perhaps as a regular treat once tried.
Speaking from my own personal experience I prefer more cacao, much less sugar and a little more wasabi, but that’s just me. If you fancy something a bit out the ordinary & don’t happen to live near a chocolatier, then this might just tick that box for you.