Guinness Dark Chocolate Caramel

Posted by in Chocolate Reviews on January 6 2010 | Leave A Comment
Guinness Dark Chocolate Caramel

I don’t much care for Guinness. So it’s probably lucky that this little bar contains just 0.2% of the stuff. The other 99.8% it seems, is pure marketing.

Simon has reviewed a couple of Guinness chocolate products in the past, some truffles which were apparently quite passable a dark chocolate bar, which wasn’t so good.

Guinness Dark Chocolate Caramel

The dark bar never gave a cocoa percentage, but this one does – a disappointing 55%. And that comes through in the taste. Although there is some vague chocolatelyness, it’s extremely sweet and it’s quite difficult to taste anything beyond the sugar.

There is a very slight flavour of something that could have been related to Guinness at some point in its life, but it’s barely discernible. If you hadn’t read the wrapper, you’d have no idea what it was. In fact, for all I know the taste could just be that the chocolate is a bit off.

Guinness Dark Chocolate Caramel

Inside each square of chocolate is a fair amount of caramel, which like the chocolate doesn’t taste of much. It’s sweet, and there is a vague butteriness to it, a quick glance at the ingredients – glucose syrup, sweetened condensed milk, vegetable fat – will give you an idea of what to expect.

As is so often the case, the overall product is edible and not offensive, but it just doesn’t do anything for me. The fact that only 0.09g of Guinness went into this 45g bar shows. It’s a gimmick rather than a treat for a Guinness lover. One to avoid.


You might also like...

Comments On This Post

  1. Ugh, what a let down. I wonder why such a distinctive brand of beer would put their name on such mediocre snacks!

  2. Since the Guinness content is so low, are children allowed to buy this bar? I got asked for ID to buy some Kahlua chocolates and I was humiliated because it was the one time all year I’d gone out without my purse.

  3. Dom (Chocablog Staff)

    I guess it depends where you live. I doubt there’d be any problem with children buying this in the UK/Europe… I’m guessing your from the US though…

  4. Ha! I’m Australian but living in the US, so yeah, I do find their liquor chocolate freakouts laughable!

Leave a comment

Chocablog: Chocolate Blog