Knowing that the question on everyone’s lips is; “which chocolate spread works best with fairy cakes?” I endeavoured to find the answer.
Donning my pinny I followed the following recipe for simple fairy cakes
- 4 ounce butter
- 4 ounce Caster sugar
- 4 ounce Self Raising Flour
- 2 eggs
- Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas mark 5.
- Mix the butter and sugar until light and creamy
- Beat the eggs in a separate bowl and then add gradually to the butter and sugar mixture. Continue beating the mixture until smooth – add a little of the flour to prevent curdling.
- Fold in the remaining flour.
- Spoon the mixture into bun cases (on a tray) and place the tray in the pre-heated oven for 20 – 25 minutes
Now for the fun bit. Wait until the buns have cooled…. Alright I’m kidding… eat a bun, just to check that they taste good. You may need to eat another just in case.
- Cut a piece out of the top of the buns and place a dollop of chocolate spread in the hole.
- Place the cut out piece of bun back on top of the filling
- share (optional)
I did half of the buns with Cadbury Milk Chocolate Spread and half with Nutella Hazelnut Spread.
Myself and my son (aged 10) did the chocolate spread fairy cake taste test (CSFCTT for short) and the results were: 10 year old boy preferred the Cadbury Spread Fairy Cakes and I preferred the Nutella Spread Fairy Cakes.
So, there we have it: conclusive proof that I can not answer the question (“which chocolate spread works best with fairy cakes?”) but I do love all this scientific research ;)